Monday, February 15, 2010

Joan Crawford's Charcoal Broiled Steak


"I never go outside unless I look like
Joan Crawford the movie star."

I know EXACTLY what you mean Joan and I am not enjoying waiting for the phone to ring so I can find out if I am going to the Brit Awards tomorrow night or not! I need to look like Joan Crawford the movie star if I am going, and that takes preparation!

If the answer is yes, I want to wash my hair tonight so I can do the heated roller thing tomorrow morning with my early am coffee in bed. If not, I can relax in the knowledge that I'll be spending yet another Tuesday evening in the company of Desmond Carrington on Radio 2 instead. Which, don't get me wrong, I adore to do. To be completely honest, I don't mind which way it goes, I'd just like to know!

Joan's steak rocked. I had been fancying a big hairy steak for days and her sauce of butter, Roquefort cheese and mustard was utterly divine. Joan, I salute you and will be channeling you this evening and tomorrow. There is NO WAY Joan would not get a seat at the Brits if she wanted one!

4 comments:

Moya said...

I always salute Joan. She is magnificent and I'm glad you enjoyed her steak. Reading this always makes me think about your days as a vegetarian and the time I saw you at the UEA when you told me you'd started eating meat again--I believe you began with bacon and carried on from there.

I do so hope you get to go to the awards so I can hear how much fun you had and what you wore! I know you'll have fun either way.

Moya said...

Also, Jenny, I need to get a copy of your book--I really want to read it and I'll need to use it for my next book. Let me know how to proceed!

Maggie said...

The sauce sounds delicious! I have no way of charcoal cooking in this tiny apartment, but I would love to try the sauce. I bet it would be good on pork chops or a pork roast as well.

Lya de Putti said...

Maggie - remind me of your email address (send to silverscreensuppers@yahoo.co.uk) and I'll send you the recipe. This sauce on pork I am sure would be SCRUMPTIOUS!

Moya, I'll swap you a copy of my book for a box of Graham Crackers! Send your address to email above my lovely - xx