Monday, September 07, 2009

Josephine Baker's Spaghetti Bolognaise


"Beautiful? It's all a question of luck. I was born with good legs.
As for the rest... beautiful, no. Amusing, yes."

Since my dad retired he's been getting a dab hand in the kitchen. This began when he started an evening class called "Cooking for Men" taught by a down to earth Home Economist called Violet. I have a handwritten recipe that goes by the name of "Violet's Cheese Pate" which was one of the first things I ever remember eating that was made by my dad and I love it. Not least because it has gherkins in it.

Anyhow, he volunteered to test cook Josephine's favourite Spaghetti recipe and when I asked how it turned out he said, "not as good as mine" which tickled me! It didn't surprise me at all that as veal stock wasn't available in the wilds of Essex he replaced it with extra wine! Like father like daughter on that one...

1 comment:

Mykal Banta said...

Lya de Putti: Ms. Baker was always a fair piece passed amusing, regardless of what she may have thought. Aren't the great ones always humble?

I am a bit suprised that Ms. Baker's signature dish was not of more Parisian origin. Yet, on the other side of the ledger, a hearty meat sause over warming pasta might suit this lithe, active beauty just fine.

Viva La Baker! -- Mykal